Bees dying after harvesting

I just completed my first harvest (manually) and left the frames out to be drawn out by my bees. When I checked the following morning many bees were dead. Can anyone offer advice as to why? Can bees get stuck or sick from gorging on honey and unable to fly? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Can you clarify what you mean by “left the frames out”, did you leave the frames outside the hive?

Also, what do you mean by “drawn out” here?

Welcome to the site.

2 Likes

Hello, I have been told that letting bees clean frames is a very bad idea. It causes robbing behaviour and can lead to fighting, hence the dead bees. If you want the bees to clean the frames put them in a hive box on top of the hive above the honey super.

1 Like

Hello, apologies for not getting back to your questions sooner. I left my frames out for the bees to eat the leftover honey in order to clean up the frames. Was this a mistake?

Hello, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. That is good to know. I watched many videos on YouTube that showed people leaving frames out for bees to clean up. I thought this was ok to do, maybe not.