In March 2017, after a disappointing summer for beekeepers, I started feeding sugar to the bees by placing a perspex plate on top of frames in the top box and spreading approximately 500gms of sugar. Within several days the sugar had been consumed.
At the end of March I commenced a feeding regime of sugar syrup - 6 cups sugar:6 cups boiled filtered water, cooled and tipped into a ziplock bag. This was placed on top of the perspex plate and the bag punctured in 6 or so places. The bees took approximately 2 to 3 days to empty each bags.
From March 26 to May 20 the bees emptied 22 bags of sugar syrup. I replaced the last bag with ~750 gms of sugar on the top plate and left the hive for the winter.
An inspection at the end of September found the population had increased, frames filling and the need for another super to be added.
At the end of the year the two top boxes had 80% capped honey and the remaining cells all had uncapped honey including the third box.
Early January ~28 to 30 kg honey extracted.