Mesh screening for TBH

Hi, I’m making a horizontal top bar hive and have decided to go down the route of a mesh screen floor, to help control small hive beetle. Does anyone know of a local supplier of appropriate screening? I will prob also fit a hinged solid floor to help keep out the winter chill!

Bunnings metal fly screen? why not just put an Apithor cassette in there?

I found some on eBay - about $11 for a 30cm x 60cm piece of #8 304 stainless steel mesh. Just big enough for my hive but perhaps too small for your top bar.

Good tip. And thinking about it, the entire bottom doesn’t need to be mesh. Maybe just a long strip on each side of the bottom board, as I have read that the bees chase the beetles down the walls…

Thanks Roland, but bunnings don’t stock the coarse mesh (#8) needed. And I dont use insecticides if I can at all avoid it.

Hi Wattle bloke, I recently made a TBH myself. (see pictures on the forum) I used for bottom mesh heavy shade cloth which I stapled tightly to the box. I put two rectangular aluminium guides (L} on the short sides in which a wooden plank can be slid tight to the shade cloth, The plank can be placed at any position to allow partly or total coverage of the bottom. Hope this explanation is clear. If needed I can send some more photos .

cheers
Wouter

Sounds like a well thought out solution!