If IKEA made beehives

As a designer I appreciate peoples different interpretations on how things work and are designed.

Here is a couple of hives that are nicely designed from a designer perspective not a beekeepers. Would look nice in the backyard though.

Beehaus works like two langstroths side by side

Urban Beehive works like a top bar

I have seen the Beehaus before as I have been interested in long Langstroths (Longstroths) / Horizontal hives for about 5 years and the small super arrangement looks good. Unfortunately the price + ship just makes the pricing crazy.

I hadn’t seen the Urban Beehive before. What’s really interesting about it is that it’s a vertically stacked top bar like a Warre, but uses the sloped wall design of the Kenyan Topbar Hive. Pretty interesting design all in all, the poly side walls with integrated castellations are an interesting touch too. Only problem I see with this hive is that KTB top bars form the lid (ie. no spacing) which may cause issues with bees moving between boxes vertically (but I am sure they have though of this and have it covered).

It’s interesting you mention IKEA specifically. I’m a sucker for design and have often thought that even a basic Langstroth design could be improved to the quality of IKEA flat pack standard with the ability to assemble with minimal tools (ie. only an Alan key). This is demonstrated pretty well in the construction of the Trofast trolley (FLISAT).

What’s interesting about this in particular isn’t so much that it’s a box… it’s that it is made from laminated sections (butt joined, not layered), can be assembled with an alan key only, and has an excellent finish and rigidity for a pine product (routed edges etc.). It’s roughly the size of a beehive… and I think gives a really good idea of what could be achieved with Langstroth beehives if someone was to start using engineered timbers for construction.

With the increased popularity of CNC routing and laser cutting (cough laser cut end bars), I think there really is an opportunity to see some creative / innovative construction of the old designs.

3D printing would also solve some of the componentry production issues. Particularly for R&D phase.

3D printing full comb out of beeswax?? saves the bees time and energy.

Holy Kazam Batman, they are hunting for 500 POUNDS!!! Nigh a THOUSAND dollars.