Cleaning 'wet' frames post extraction

Hi All,
We’ve used an extractor for the first time over the weekend. In the past we would manually crush the combs and reapply foundation.

Most of the frames we’ve put back in the hives for the bees to clean and reuse the comb. However we have a few left over. I’ve researched, including reference to Robert Owen’s Australian Beekeeping manual but the advice is varied.

I’ve placed them outside, well away from the hives. I wouldn’t put them near the hive, that could cause robbing. I’ve checked and there are no wasps coming to the frames, just lots of bees that aren’t aggressive. Is there anything else I should look out for or should I take them inside?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Hello Robbo

Please never (NEVER) leave frames out post extraction for bees to harvest from, you may not see this as encouraging robbing but thats exactly what it will do especially at this time of the year. Once any foraging bees find these sticky frames and rob from them they will certainly move onto robbing as their chief priority as they are seeking to secure a similar ‘sugar fix’ for the same effort.

NSW DPI lists this as an offence in their revised honey bee keeping legislation, which further highlights the importance of preventing this from ever occurring.

The best place for extracted ‘sticky’ frames to be cleaned up is inside a sealed off hive for only the colony of bees that you harvested the honey from to be able to gain access to, where for some reason you don’t have the space for simply buy yourself another super specifically so that you do… otherwise you are significantly increasing the risk of the bees in your area, and not just your bees but all the bees, quickly developing a robbing mindset and thereby increasing the chances of diseases to your hives and theirs as bees move on to rob any other hive they can find as their focus moves from gathering nectar in a controlled occurrence to robbing which is the equivalent to the craziness often seen when humans are looting.

Victorias DPI offers great advice, and should be your immediate first point for sound advice, NSW is also good but the documented material available from Victoria is clearly second to none.

For the best free beekeeping resource, totalling 144 page, the following link is your one stop shop.

So, as a priority please get your frames in to help minimise the risks associated to all apiaries from robbing bees.

Cheers

Eric

Hi BBH

Thanks for your post. I had originally visited the NSW DPI site looking for advice. The Vic DPI resource is very useful. We’ve brought the frames in and will use the extra super as the future method of cleaning additional frames.

Regards
Robbo