Azalea and Rhododendron

I share recycling and garbage dumpsters with my neighbors. I found about 30 empty, large containers labeled as azaleas of different varieties.

My mystery neighbors are welcome to do as they please with their yard, but how do I check my honey? Honey from azaleas and rhododendron is toxic. With so many close by, this seems like a concern. Is it?

Hey

interesting post, not sure that there is too much to worry about unless is the specific species on the evil list of plants, I for one don’t believe I have ever (ever) seen honey bees visiting any azalea flowers, either they are so unattractive nutritionally to bees or they typically flower when there is a whole heap of other flora about that bees would rather go elsewhere looking for a more nutritious feed. As for rhododendrons, the following quality article helps to shed light on why not to panic, good advice not just for hitchhikers in the galaxy…

Enjoy,

Regards

Eric

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been watching the azaleas more closely this season. My poor flowering broccoli has been getting more bee visitors than a nearby azalea bush. I’m not as worried as I was earlier.

Oddly, the bee per flower density on the machurian pear is about the same as the broccoli.