Sorry to hear of your AFB outbreak, in recent weeks I have inspected 10 hives at four locations now and confirmed that each had AFB. In the ACT these were Kaleen, Farrer, Isabella Plains and in NSW on a rural property in Womboin. There are ONLY two approved treatments for AFB in Australia one being to burn the hives and the other to use irradiate them. Clearly irradiating them is the best option and a useful link to where to from here can be found at:
ABOUT THE DISEASE
The essential facts about AFB
• Caused by the bacterium Paenibacillus larvae. • It is not a stress related disease and can infect the strongest to the weakest
colony in an apiary.
• 2.6 billion AFB spores are produced in one infected larvae.
• it is not highly contagious and is primarily spread by beekeepers exchanging equipment between infected and healthy hives or by bees robbing infected weak/dead colonies.
• It is a spore forming bacteria with the spore being able to survive for decades.
• The spore stage is extremely resilient to heat, cold and drying. • The spores can survive on all stored bee hive components, including honey. • Only 6 to 10 spores are required to cause an infection in a day old larvae.
• A bee larvae less than 24 hours old is the most susceptible stage to be infected by AFB. The younger the larvae, the more susceptible and less spores required to cause infection.
• The bacteria rapidly multiply after the larvae have been capped.
• The disease is fatal to the bee colony.
Steritech provide this service in Australia and they have facilities in QLD, NSW & VIC. I have provided a link to the NSW site where you can access the form they need completed when sending them boxes and frames etc for irradiation.
Also, just a reminder to send any swarm catching boxes you may have down at the same time as these are commonly overlooked and where they aren’t sent and they are carrying the spoors you will only be reinfected in the near future so PLEASE SEND ALL YOUR BOXES, FRAMES, FEEDERS, Q/EXCLUDERS, etc down in one job-lot.
Whilst I understand that there is a number of home remedies and associated urban myths out there for AFB treatment BUT I cannot stress enough to do what is accepted by science and supported by the DPIs around the country as the two options available to us at present. I hope that there will be other options available to us all in the future but at present there is NOT.
Regards to anyone reading this post and following the advice within.